Srdjan Stevanovic/Getty Images. Pictured: Ante Rebic and Mario Mandzukic.
The European Soccer calendar is in full swing at the moment and we yet again have a full slate of action this weekend. Here is a snapshot of whats been going on over the past week.
- Leicester erased a late late one goal deficit, scoring three goals in eight minutes to beat Liverpool 3-1 at the King Power Stadium.
- Manchester City defeated Tottenham and Everton by a combined score of 6-1 and now have a ten point lead a top the Premier League table.
- Manchester United was held to a 1-1 draw at the Hawthornes with relegation side West Brom.
- Leverkusen gave away a two goal lead late, allowing relegation side Mainz to score two goals in stoppage time to tie 2-2.
- Dortmund has held at home to a 2-2 tie with Hoffenheim, which means they are now six points off the top four.
- Eintracht Frankfurt beat Koln 2-0, which marks their eighth win in their last nine matches and now has them in third place in the Bundesliga table.
- Bayern Munich need to come back from a 3-1 second half deficit to draw 3-3 with 16th place Arminia Bielefeld.
- Napoli defeated Juventus 1-0 at home, which now puts Juventus’ hopes of a tenth straight Serie A title in serious jeopardy.
- Inter defeated Lazio 3-1 at the San Siro, which now puts them a top the Serie A table.
- AC Milan was upset on the road by newly promoted side Spezia 2-0. The loss now puts them one point behind their inner city rival Inter Milan.
- Lyon was upset at home 2-1 by Montpellier, dropping them to third in the Ligue 1 table.
- Lille was held to 0-0 draw with Brest, which allowed PSG to come within one point of their lead a top of Ligue 1.
With how busy the European soccer calendar is at the moment with mid-week Champions League and Europa League matches, managers might be rotating their squads to rest some players. Therefore, it might be a good idea to wait to place a wager until starting lineups come out prior to kickoff.
You can use these projections to identify early betting value on the opening lines, plus follow me in The Action Network App to see any bets I make throughout the week.
Premier League Notes
- Liverpool vs. Everton: The Merseyside Derby will have European soccer complications on the line in the second meeting. Liverpool is now outside the top four after their loss to Leicester, while Everton needs to stop the bleeding and cling to their 7th place spot in the table. These two teams drew 2-2 at the very beginning of the season, with one of the more controversial offsides calls of the season.
Everton v Liverpool (Oct. 17)
Jordan Henderson goal ruled out for offside against Sadio Mane, 90th minute (2-2)
VAR DECISION: Offside
WITH MARGIN OF ERROR: Onside
Liverpool would probably have won a game they drew 2-2. pic.twitter.com/A5mWog8j0m
— Dale Johnson (@DaleJohnsonESPN) December 2, 2020
Both teams are winless in their last three matches in the Premier League, so Liverpool and Everton will both be desperate for all three points. Liverpool is unbeaten in their last 20 meetings with Everton in the Premier League.
- West Ham vs. Tottenham: The Hammers have been on fire over the past month and are tied on points with Chelsea for fourth place in the table. Tottenham on the other hand is struggling, they’ve lost four of their last five matches in the Premier League and are sitting in ninth place in the table. The match at White Hart Lane between these two in December ended in thrilling fashion with West Ham erasing a 3-0 Spurs lead to draw 3-3. It was capped off by this stunning goal from Manuel Lanzini.
- Arsenal vs. Manchester City: The Cityzens are on a crazy run at the moment, they’ve won 12 straight matches in the Premier League and have only conceded three goals in those matches. Arsenal has been in a decent run of form as of late winning four of their last eight matches, but Manchester City has dominated them in recent years, winning the last seven encounters in the Premier League.
Premier League Injury News
- Arsenal: Thomas Partey (CM) is doubtful to face Manchester City.
- Aston Villa: Matty Cash (RB) is out against Leicester.
- Brighton: Tariq Lamptey (RB) and Solly March (LB) are out against Crystal Palace. Adam Webster (CB) is questionable.
- Burnley: Robbie Brady (LM) and Johann Gudmundsson (CM) are out against West Brom. Chris Wood (ST) is out.
- Chelsea: Kai Havertz (RM), Thiago Silva (CB), and Tammy Abraham (ST) are out against Southampton.
- Crystal Palace: Wilfried Zaha (ST), James McArthur (CM), Jeffrey Schlupp (LM) and Mamadou Sakho (CB) are out against Brighton.
- Everton: Yerry Mina (CB) is out against Liverpool.
- Fulham: Aleksandar Mitrovic (ST) and Tom Cairney (CAM) are out against Sheffield United.
- Leeds: Kalvin Phillips (CM) is out against Wolves.
- Leicester: Ayoze Perez (RM), James Justin (LB), and Dennis Praet (CAM) are out against Aston Villa. Timothy Castagne (RB) is questionable.
- Liverpool: Diogo Jota (CF), Virgil van Dijk (CB), James Milner (CM), Naby Keïta (CM), Joël Matip (CB) and Joe Gomez (CB) are out against Everton.
- Manchester United: Paul Pogba (CM) is out against Newcastle. Edinson Cavani (ST) and Donny van de Beek (CAM) are questionable.
- Newcastle: Javier Manquillo (RB), Fabian Schär (CB), and Callum Wilson (ST) are out against Manchester United. Federico Fernández (CB) is questionable.
- Sheffield United: Sander Berge (CM), Jack Robinson (CB), John Egan (CB), and Jack O’Connell (CB) are out against Fulham.
- Southampton: Theo Walcott (RM), Kyle Walker-Peters, and Ibrahima Diallo (CM) are out against Chelsea.
- Tottenham: Giovani Lo Celso (CM), Serge Aurier (RB) are out against West Ham. Sergio Reguilon (RB) is questionable.
- West Ham: Arthur Masuaku (LB), Andriy Yarmolenko (RM), and Angelo Ogbonna (CB) are out against Tottenham. Michail Antonio (ST) is questionable.
- Wolves: Daniel Podence (ST), Willy Boly (CB), and Raúl Jiménez (ST) are out against Leeds.
- Frankfurt vs. Bayern Munich: The hottest team in Germany faces their toughest test of the season on Saturday. Frankfurt has been on absolute fire the past two months, winning eight of their last nine matches and outscoring their opponents 24 to 7. Bayern currently holds a five point lead a top the Bundesliga table and has won five of their last six matches.
Bundesliga Injury News
- Augsburg: Iago (LWB) is out against Leverkusen.
- Bayer Leverkusen: Lars Bender (CDM) is questionable to play against Augsburg.
- Bayern Munich: Serge Gnarby (RM), Thomas Muller (CAM), Benjamin Pavard (RB), and Douglas Costa (CAM) are out against Frankfurt.
- Borussia Dortmund: Thorgan Hazard (CAM), Roman Bürki (GK), and Axel Witsel (CM) are out against Schalke.
- Frankfurt: Andre Silva (ST) is questionable to play against Bayern Munich. Djibril Sow (CM) is out.
- Gladbach: Marcus Thuram (RW) is questionable to play against Mainz.
- Hertha Berlin: Marvin Plattenhardt (LB), Jhon Córdoba (ST), and Dedryck Boyata (CB) is out against RB Leipzig.
- Hoffenheim: Kevin Vogt (CB), Andrej Kramaric (ST), Kevin Akpoguma (CB) and Ryan Sessegnon (LB) are out against Werder Bremen.
- Koln: Sebastiaan Bornauw (CB) is out against Vfb Stuttgart. Sebastian Andersson (ST) and Florian Kainz (RM) are questionable.
- Mainz 05: Robin Quaison (ST) is out against Gladbach.
- RB Leipzig: Emil Forsberg (CAM) is out against Hertha Berlin.
- Schalke: Matija Nastasic (CB) and Mark Uth (CAM) are out against Dortmund.
- Vfb Stuttgart: Daniel Didavi (CAM) is out against Koln.
- Werder Bremen: Marco Friedl (CB) and Milos Veijkovic (CB) are out against Hoffenheim.
Serie A Notes
- AC Milan vs. Inter Milan: This is perhaps the most important Milan Derby in over a decade. Inter leads AC Milan by one point a top of the Serie A table, so all three points by either side would be vitally important to their chances at winning the title. Inter defeated AC Milan three weeks ago in Coppa Italia 2-1 on a Christian Eriksen goal in the final minute of the match.
- Atalanta vs. Napoli: Both clubs have 40 points on the dot and are on the outside looking in at the top four. So, three points is extremely vital for both of their chance at qualifying for the Champions League. Atalanta has been struggling at home as of lat as they’re winless in their last three matches at the Gewiss Stadium. Napoli is going through an injury crisis at the moment as their entire starting defense was not able to play in their loss to Granada in the Europa League on Thursday.
Serie A Injury News
- Benevento: Gaetano Letizia (RB) is questionable to play against Roma.
- Crotone: Salvatore Molina (CM) is out against Juventus.
- Fiorentina: Franck Ribery (LW) is questionable to play against Spezia.
- Juventus: Giorgio Chiellini (CB), Juan Cuadrado (RB), and Arthur (CM) are questionable to face Crotone. Adrien Rabiot (CM) is out.
- Lazio: Luiz Felipe (CB), Thomas Strakosha (GK), Manuel Lazzari (RM), Stefan Daniel Radu (CB) are out against Sampdoria.
- Napoli: Hirving Lozano (RW), Dries Mertens (CAM), Elseid Hysaj (LB), Giovanni Di Lorenzo (RB), and Konstantinos Manolas (CB) are out against Atalanta. Faouzi Ghoulam (LB), Kalidou Koulibaly (CB), and David Ospina (GK) are questionable.
- Parma: Andreas Cornelius (ST) and Hernani (CM) are out against Udinese. Vincent Laurini (RB) is questionable.
- Roma: Marash Kumbulla (CB) and Chris Smalling (CB) are questionable to play against Benevento.
- Sampdoria: Manolo Gabbiadini (CAM) is questionable to face Fiorentina. Lorenzo Tonelli (CB) is out.
- Sassuolo: Jérémie Boga (LM) is out against Bologna.
- Spezia: Diego Farias (LW) is questionable to play against Fiorentina. Claudio Terzi (CB) and Simone Bastoni (LB) are out.
- Udinese: Ignacio Pussetto (ST) is questionable to play against Parma. Roberto Pereyra (CM) is out.
- Verona: Federico DiMarco (CB) and Federico Ceccherini (CB) are out against Genoa.
La Liga Injury News
- Athletic Bilbao: Mikel Vesga (CM) is out against Villarreal.
- Atletico Madrid: Kieran Trippier (RB) is out against Levante. Thomas Lemar (CM), and Mario Hermoso (CB) are questionable.
- Barcelona: Ansu Fati (LW) are out against Cadiz. Philippe Coutinho (CAM) and Sergi Roberto (RB) are questionable.
- Cadiz: Álex Fernández (LM) is questionable to face Barcelona. Jens Jønsson (CM) and Carlos Akapo (RB) are out.
- Celta Vigo: Brais Méndez (RM) and Iago Aspas (ST) are out against Valencia.
- Elche: Fidel (CM) is out against Eibar.
- Granada: Roberto Soldado (ST) and Luis Milla (CM) are out against Huesca.
- Huesca: Pedro Mosquera (CDM) is questionable to play against Granada.
- Osasuna: Juan Cruz (LB), Ruben Garcia (LM), and Facundo Roncaglia (RB) are out against Sevilla.
- Real Betis: Marc Bartra (CB) is out against Getafe.
- Real Madrid: Sergio Ramos (CB), Marcelo (LB), Daniel Carvajal (RB), Federico Valverde (CM), Lucas Vázquez (RB), and Rodrygo (RW) are out against Real Valladolid.
- Sevilla: Marcos Acuña (LB) and Lucas Ocampos (LW) are out against Osasuna.
- Valencia: Mouctar Diakhaby (CB) is questionable to play against Celta Vigo.
- Villarreal: Mario Gaspar (RB), Francis Coquelin (CM), and Vicente Iborra (CDM) are out against Athletic Bilbao.
Ligue 1 Notes
- PSG vs. Monaco: PSG is currently trailing Lille by one point, so this match is vitally important for the defending champions. They are on a good run in Ligue 1 play, winning six of their last seven matches and their last six at home. Monaco has won seven of their last eight matches and their last four on the road. PSG lost earlier this season at Monaco 3-2, as they blew a 2-0 halftime lead.