IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa women’s basketball team received an at-large bid to the 2021 NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament, its 27th appearance in the tournament, including its 15th under P. Sue Beckwith, MD, Head Coach Lisa Bluder.
Iowa (18-8) received a No. 5 seed in the River Walk Region and will play 12th-seeded Central Michigan (18-8) on Sunday in San Antonio. It will be the second meeting between the two teams. The first meeting was during the 2010-11 season — Iowa won 90-79. The other two teams in Iowa’s first-weekend bracket include No. 4 Kentucky and 13th-seeded Idaho State.
Information on pre-tournament news conferences and open practice times will be released in the coming days.
- The NCAA will allow a limited number of fans at the 2021 Division I Women’s Basketball Championship, starting with the Sweet 16. Hawkeye fans interested in tickets should visit ncaatickets.com.
- Iowa has made 15 NCAA Tournament appearances under head coach Lisa Bluder. The Hawkeyes likely would have qualified for the 2020 NCAA Tournament if it had not been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Iowa received votes in the Associated Press or WBCA Coaches Poll every week during the 2020-21 season. In today’s AP Poll, the Hawkeyes received 43 votes.
- Iowa won three games over AP or WBCA Coaches Poll Top 25 teams in the regular season, including RV/24 Iowa State, No. 12 Michigan, and No. 19/23 Rutgers.
- Guard Caitlin Clark was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year. She was an unanimous first team All-Big Ten selection and an unanimous selection for the Big Ten All-Freshman team. Junior Monika Czinano also earned first team All-Big Ten.
- Lisa Bluder has guided Iowa to 18 wins or more in 14 consecutive seasons.